Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I need that record


















http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1274725/

Another documentary, this time on, as the subtitle says; The death (or possible survival)of the independent record store.
Brendan Toller is an guerilla filmmaker, he meets Thurston Moore from Sonic youth, Noam Chomsky whom is an well known left wing activist and professor. Brendan also meets other people who have worked (some has got their stores closed down) or are still working at stores that buy and sell records. In the end of the documentary, he also meets two men who have just opened their store.

There are mostly concentrated on old memories and what local people feel about these stores and how they have met other with the same passion, or how it has helped them and others from the everyday life of boredom.
There is also, from time to time, inputs about the introduction of radio, MTV and internet sites such as MP3.com and napster and finally the Ipod player that has revolutionised the music industry.

When Brendan starts to talk about this MP3 and the fact that people now can buy 1 (one) song online and download it on their ipod, just so they don´t have to buy the whole cd, my mind starts to fly away a bit "isn´t that how the movie industry also should work?".

Well in some cases, I wont name any sourches, becouse you all can handle internet and I ain´t talking about filesharing sites or download sites. I´m talking about different videosites where you can find, maby not "whatever you want" but a lot of scenes from various movies. You know movies that you wanna see for the reason that Megan Fox is being topless in it or whatever your reason may be. So instead of watching the whole movie just becouse of seeing a short 2-3 second clip of her tits. You can wait and that verry scene will be aviable somewhere on the net.

But, back to this documentary now. Allthough I ain´t that much into music as I once was - sure I still enjoy listening to music - but for various reasons (as getting closer to being deafh) I choose my periods of listening.
But in some way I feel the same way as these people, I feel that something would be missing if there wasn´t a place to go to and have your desire, love for the music and meeting friends or just people who actually like the same thing as you do. So, the "evil protagonist" in this documentary is ofcourse the big companies as wall-mart and other big stores that more or less makes these people (recordstores owner) unemployed and the fact that over 3.000 independent record stores across US has closed down the last decade.

And the small section above I mentioned that I understand them, here where I live, there are none comicbook store. The closest is 40 swedish miles away. But on the other hand, within 3 weeks time I´ll be going on a outdoorsale and buy my self a shitloads of comicbooks and some dvds... hey, maby I even buy a cd..

official site
http://www.ineedthatrecord.com/Site/I_Need_That_Record%21.html

Official site for Brendan Toller
http://www.brendantoller.com/home/Brendan_Toller.html

No comments:

Post a Comment